The preparation of scientific work is different from writing populist articles in all sorts of media, so a person who is not familiar with professional subtleties can easily miss important points.
The result is an unprotected thesis, a failed dissertation, or a mass of critical reviews of an article.
Regardless of what a person writes, at the first stage, he prepares key reference material, that is, those works on the basis of which this research is based.
The reliability of the facts in the primary collection should be checked especially carefully. If we make a mistake here, then at least several sections will have to be rewritten.
The third stage comes after the publication of the material. In essence, this is a work on mistakes; it describes minor clarifications or gives refutations of some controversial information. If the first two stages are performed professionally, then the third stage is usually not required.
General data verification technology
If earlier scientists spent days in libraries, now any information can be taken from the Internet. On the one hand, it is convenient, and on the other hand, there are a lot of false facts spinning on the World Wide Web that need to be checked very carefully.
Mistakes in scientific papers
If you take the media, then there is a virtual billing designed to protect against newspaper gossip, rumors, speculation, as well as deliberate disinformation or fakes.
Where to check information
Each factual checker has its own methods of verification. From the generally accepted sources available are the following:
- The facts are checked by encyclopedias and narrow reference books, sometimes by publications in scientific journals;
- It is better to clarify events through journals, university websites and in some cases through social networks.
- Currently living individuals. These are official websites of universities, databases, pages of specific people in social networks;
- Organizations. Now the official website is considered the best way to obtain information about the organization; if it is not enough, then several requests should be made to the relevant scientific structures;
- Documents. Reliable information on certain documents can be obtained through archives, databases or on the official websites of organizations.